Wynyard Quarter, Auckland
Landscape Architects – Taylor Cullity Lethlean with Wraight + Associates
Project Management – MPM
Engineering – Beca, Auckland
Structural Engineering (gantry) – Buller George Turkington
Electrical Engineering – eCubed Building Workshop Ltd
Illustration – Stantiall Studio
This project is located at the edge of the city and harbour on contaminated land. The public space is designed as a catalyst for development. The objectives established were:
- Create a unique destination and a truly civic waterfront promenade
- Bring fun, family and recreational focus to the site;
- Foster real engagement with authentic maritime experiences;
- Enable this place to communicate its history; and
- Achieve an environment that is well connected yet offers distinctly different experiences.
Three distinct places have been developed within the site, Jellicoe Street, North Wharf and Silo Park.
- Jellicoe Street has been narrowed, shifting the proposed building alignment and planting a lush Auckland centric streetscape in a high quality urban ground plane. This character is amplified at Jellicoe Plaza.
- Silo park is an urban park with diverse activities that reflect maritime heritage. Water treatment of site storm-water is integrated in the project here.
- North Wharf is retained in its original condition, still usable by the fishing fleet, but adapted for public use as well.
- Integration of artwork into the public space through a dedicated arts strategy.
- Reduced energy demand through use of efficient lighting technologies.
- Water sensitive urban design implementation site-wide – capturing, treating and reusing storm-water.
- Reuse of site won materials – e.g. concrete blocks from the Golden Bay Cement works site.
- Creation of habitat for flora and fauna including aquatic life
- Promotes healthy activity, environmental education and encourages positive social interaction
- Demonstrates the importance of public space by implementing landscape before building.
- Demonstrates a coherent use of new and old materials and elements, and integrates site wide storm water treatment.
2014 – Winner – Rosa Barba Award – North Wharf, Jellicoe Street and Silo Park
2013 – NZILA Excellence Award – Urban Landscape Design – North Wharf, Jellicoe Street and Silo Park
- Top Honour project – Excellence on the Waterfront Awards, The Waterfront Centre – North Wharf, Jellicoe Street and Silo Park
- Winner – Completed Category, World Architecture News Urban Regeneration Awards 2012 – North Wharf, Jellicoe Street and Silo Park
- Winner – Landscape Category, Resene Total Colour Awards – North Wharf, Jellicoe Street and Silo Park
- Winner, Excellence Award – Urban Design in Landscape Architecture, AILA Victoria Awards – North Wharf, Jellicoe Street and Silo Park
- Winner – Built Category, New Zealand Urban Design Awards – [Wynyard Quarter], Auckland
- Finalist – Completed Urban Landscape Category, World Architecture Festival – North Wharf, Jellicoe Street and Silo Park